Compatible devices and Apps
Which devices are compatible with Pottermore Shop eBooks?
eBooks from the Pottermore Shop are provided in EPUB format - the world's most popular and open eBook standard - and are compatible with the majority of computers and devices. In addition, the Harry Potter eBooks are available in Amazon Kindle formats for use on Amazon Kindle devices and apps.
This is just a selection of the popular devices that can be used to read the Harry Potter eBooks:
- Acer Iconia Tab
- Amazon Kindle devices
- Apple iPhone running iOS v4.2 or newer
- Apple iPad running iOS v4.2 or newer
- Apple iPod touch running iOS v4.2 or newer
- Asus Transformer
- HTC EVO
- Kobo eReaders (including the Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo and the Kobo Mini)
- Motorola Droid
- Motorola Xoom
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- Samsung Galaxy S
- Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Sony Daily Edition (PRS---900BC & PRS 950SC)
- Sony Pocket Edition (PRS---300SC &PRS 950SC)
- Sony Reader (PRS---505 & PRS---700)
- Sony Reader PRS-T2
- Sony Reader WiFi (PRs---T1)
- Sony Tablet S and Sony Tablet P (SGPT1XX & SGPT212)
- Sony Touch Edition (PRS---600BC & PRS 650BC)
- Sony Xperia Tablet S
- Toshiba Thrive
- Other mobile and tablet devices running Android v1.5 or higher (i.e. PanDigital Novel)
Many eBook–reading devices support the EPUB format. For a comprehensive list, visit blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices or check your manufacturer's guidelines to see if this applies to your device.
What Reading Apps are compatible with Pottermore Shop eBooks?
- Amazon reading apps (on all supporting devices)
- Blio reading app (on all supporting devices)
- Google Play reading app (on all supporting devices)
- Kobo reading apps (on all supporting devices)
- NOOK reading apps (on all supporting devices)
- Saraiva Reader app (on all supporting devices)
- Scholastic Storia app (on all supporting devices)
- Sony Reader app (on all supporting devices)
What Reading Services does the Pottermore Shop offer – how can I read my Pottermore Shop eBook?
We have partnered with the following services to make it easy to send your Harry Potter eBook to your account. (Subject to reading service availability in your country.)
- Amazon Kindle (available in most countries)
- Barnes & Noble NOOK (US customers only)
- Blio (US, Canadian and UK based customers only)
- Google Play (This service is currently available in Australia, Canada, Japan, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States)
- Kobo (available in many countries)
- NOOK (UK customers only)
- Saraiva (Brazilian customers only)
- Scholastic Storia (US and Canadian based customers only)
- Sony Reader online account (US and Canadian based customers only)
The accounts are linked during the download process. In order to set up a linked account, please go to 'My books', select one of your Harry Potter eBooks to download and choose your reading service. You can view these linked accounts by going to 'My shop account' then 'Linked accounts'. Please note you can link to one account per reading service.
For further information, take a look at our How to download your eBook videos.
You may need to install EPUB-reading software, such as Adobe Digital Editions, to be able to open and read your eBook on your computer.
What devices are compatible with Japanese eBooks?
The Harry Potter Japanese eBooks are supplied as EPUB3 files which are compatible with eReader devices purchased in Japan or any other EPUB3 compatible device that has Japanese font and vertical text enabled. The Japanese eBooks are also available as Amazon Kindle Books for reading on Amazon Kindle Fire, Fire HD and Paperwhite devices and Free Kindle Reading Apps for Android and selected Apple products.
A selection of the popular devices that can be used to read the Japanese Harry Potter eBooks are:
- All Sony Readers for the Japanese market (with the latest firmware installed)
- Sony Tablet for the Japanese market (with Reader for Sony Tablet version 2.1 or later)
- Sony Xperia for the Japanese market (with Reader for Xperia version 2.1 or later)
- Amazon Kindle Fire, Fire HD and Paperwhite devices
- Kobo Touch (with the latest firmware installed, download to your device from Kobo digital library only) Not currently available on the Kobo App
What devices are compatible with Pottermore Shop Digital Audio Books?
You can listen to the Harry Potter digital audio books on any device that is compatible with MP3 audio format, including:
- Sony Walkman
- Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod
- MP3 players by Sony, Archos, Coby, Creative, SanDisk and many more
- Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone 7 smartphones and tablets
You can also listen to digital audio books on your computer using any programme that plays MP3 files, including iTunes, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer and WinAmp.
For more information on how to download your digital audio book, take a look at our How to download your digital audio book video.
Do I need any specific software to read my eBook on my computer or mobile device?
eBooks purchased from the Pottermore Shop are provided as EPUB files (or EPUB3 for Japanese), and you will require software such as Adobe Digital Editions (which is free) to open them and to transfer them to your computer or device.
To download Adobe Digital Editions, simply go to www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/ and follow the installation instructions. Once you have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, you will be able to add your eBooks to your library. For more information and help about using Adobe Digital Editions, go to www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/faq.html .
If you use Amazon Kindle, the Pottermore Shop also supports the Kindle formats, so you won't need additional software to read your eBook.
If you use Blio or Scholastic Storia, the relevant apps are all you require, as the Pottermore Shop supports the XPS format.
If you download directly to your device, such as a tablet, it may already have an app to read eBooks. If not, you will need to download the relevant app before you can access your eBook.