Digital audio books
How are digital audio books formatted?
Digital audio books are supplied as MP3 files – one per chapter – which are contained in a single zipped file to make them easier to download.
Digital audio book files vary in size depending on their content. Your Harry Potter digital audio book will be between 200MB and 1GB in size.
Where will my digital audio book be kept after I have purchased it?
Once you have purchased your digital audio book, it will be added to your personal 'My books' page, ready for you to download at your convenience.
Is my device compatible?
For more information, go to our Compatible Devices and Apps page.
How many times can I download each digital audio book?
The Harry Potter digital audio books can be downloaded up to eight times for your personal use, at no additional cost.
For more details on downloads and how they can be used, please see our Terms & Conditions.
How do I download digital audio books from the Pottermore Shop?
It's quick and easy to download Harry Potter digital audio books to your computer, for use on your Sony Walkman, Apple iPod, mobile phone or MP3 player.
- Purchase your digital audio book (or collect it, if it is a gift) and go to 'My books'.
- Click the 'Select' button under the book you wish to download.
- Choose the 'Your computer' option.
- Your digital audio book will then be prepared and downloaded to your computer. Digital audio book files are fairly large so the download may take a few minutes. If prompted, please save the file to your computer, and remember the location.
- You will need to extract the individual MP3 files from the zipped file it is saved in.
- To transfer your digital audio book to your chosen device and listen to it on your computer, you can use third-party software such as WinZip or WinRAR, or use the following steps:
- Right-click the zip file
- Click 'Extract All' or 'Extract'
- Follow the prompts to unzip the files
- Double-click the zip file
Take a look at our How to download your digital audio book video for more information.
Something went wrong with my download. What should I do?
If your download is interrupted, or will not open on your computer, your download count will have been reduced by one, and you will need to start the process again. To avoid this, please don't close your browser or alter your Internet connection during download, and ensure you have enough space on your computer before you begin.
If you have followed these steps and you are still experiencing problems, please Contact us and we will try to help.
Can I listen to a digital audio book sample?
For the languages in which digital audio books are available, simply go to the specific book page to hear an excerpt. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a great place to start.